Orthopedics Community
Can a sprained ankle cause swelling on both sides of foot?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Hello!

I am 31 years old and am in "moderate" shape! My boys and I are really into soccer and we were playing on father's day and I of course was wearing the wrong kind of shoes and ended up severely spraining my ankle - I heard a pop, felt a pop, and nearly passed out from the pain - I couldn't move my foot for about 10 minutes or so.

I am almost certain this is a sprain and not a break as I do not have any of the associated pain with a break. I was able to walk without too much pain shortly after and there really is no pain anymore. On top of that I have sprained my ankle 2 other times like this before but it has been about 14 years since the last time I did.

I had the inversion type of sprain, but there could have been a little twisting as well. I drove home and it hurt a little, but not as much as I remembered before. In fact, when I took off my sock I was shocked to see that my outside ankle was the size of a baseball! (My family was shocked as they didn't beleive me - I am always playing around like that with them!)

I used the RICE method and used crutches for about 2 days. However, now, I just use an ankle brace and walk with a little limp. Although I have heard that you should (being careful of course) walk on it as soon and as often as possible after the injury to reduce the possibility for scarring.

I did not go to the Dr. by the way because from what I can tell this seems to be classic sprain and I do not have insurance. There is quite a bit of brusing showing up now, but not too much. However, I noticed earlier that the inside of my foot is itching and is swollen and bruised too. And this is porbably just me not paying attention, but I do not remember it being swollen or bruised on the inside and I do not remember that it was like this the last two times I did it. It never hurt on the inside and still doesn't. Is this normal, and what is the inside swelling and bruising coming from it this was inversion, not eversion?

Thanks!

Mike