Can body scans at airports detect cancer
My husband has been complaining with this pain slightly to left of shoulder blade. The other day at airport going thru security & he entered for the full body scan. This is the third time this has happened but the area where he has his pain, shoulder blade, it shows up on the scan as a yellow square!! Could the body scan for security actually detect cancer or inflamed muscle?? What would cause this to show up exactly where he is having pain??
Hi!
No, full body scanners at airport cannot detect cancer or inflammation. A yellow patch on full body scanner means that the thing is not a part of the body. The scanner can detect any prosthesis, stent, implants, and other things like colostomy bags, and other metallic or non-metallic things etc. Maybe he had some operation in childhood or there is some implant that is coming up as a yellow square.
If your husband has some problem in the shoulder area, then an X-ray and a MRI of the shoulder joint is advisable. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Hello and Welcome to MedHelp! I am the new Orthopedic Community Leader and I am still trying to get up to speed. The "yellow square(s)" started 3 years ago with the "new" body scanners. That square will indicate any anomalie (bump/object) it deems unusual for the human body. My opinion is if it is a great concern for you, that you consult a physician for a routine Scapula x-ray.

Best wishes!  JD1963
I was wearing a support stocking on my left leg, which shifted and was tight around the top of my knee going through the scanner, which showed up as a yellow square, so I believe that the yellow sq, indicated to me as a lack of blood was in that area,
I have severe arthritis and Rheumatoid arthritis.  The last time I went through the airport scanner, I had four yellow squares show up.  Left shoulder and elbow joint, right elbow joint, and right wrist.  All of these joints are extremely painful, inflamed and present with deformity.  The yellow box on my left shoulder has been showing up on me for at least three years, but now this year I have FOUR BOXES!  I wonder what the scanner is picking up.  Please advise.