Can orthotics cause ankle pain?
I wear orthotics in my cross trainers for exercising (I have low arches, that were causing knee pain).  I wore them for about a year, and then I stopped exercising for about a year. I started exercising again, and at first the orthotics felt ok, the arch felt a little high, but after some jumping exercising I did one day, my ankles hurt. I'm not heavy, and I'm only 35.

The pain is in the inner part of the ankles, toward the Achilles tendon. It hurts the most when going down the stairs, and after walking for some time. I've put ice on them, and they seem to be improving.

My question is weather the orthotics could be the cause of the pain. Could it be I'm not used to my orthotics? Could they be too high? or too low? Or could it be something else (bad form, etc.)?

Hello!
Yes you are absolutely right. The orthotics which is not proper for your feet would cause this pain.
With increase in age and with increase in weight and without practice there is every reason to get the ankle problem what you are facing.
Try to make a habit with the orthotics and then do more of physician exercise in a progressive way and if it does not help you have to buy new ones.
Sometimes it is advisable to go for custom made by the instructions of a Physiotherapist or an Orthopedician.
Take care!
Thank you for your prompt reply.

I've been using the orthotics today, and it feels better than without.

I'll wear them all day tomorrow, and hopefully that will help. If not, I guess I'll have to go to the doctor...
Hello!

Good going and exert yourself slowly.
With time it will adjust and with any discomfort you can visit your doctor.

Take care!