Can pes planus cause PTTD?
Back in the 1980's I sustained repetitive traumas to my feet (12 to 15 occurrences of leaping off of a rapel tower). Over the following year, my feet, ankles, and heels continued to hurt without improvement.  Also during that year, my boot size went from 10.5 to 12. It eventually stopped at size 13. I have since been diagnosed with bilateral flat foot, PTTD, bone spurs, and arthritis in my ankles. In researching this condition, I keep seeing where it is common for PTTD to cause flatfootedness. But can trauma like what I experienced cause damage to ligaments that cause the pes planus, and that the pes planus causes the PTT to become damaged from crushing, resulting in PTTD? It seems like my case is backwards from the norm because my arches collapsed rather quickly. Could the initial traumas have caused the PTT to become damaged and perhaps I just didn't recongize it because the pain in my feet was more severe?
Hi there!

Well, while constant trauma can lead to PTTD, it is the PTTD that is believed to be a causative factor in acquired pes planus in adults.
Hope this information is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you for your comments and insight.  I greatly appreciate it.