Can staph infection on finger cause tenderness in pad of fingertip?
I was recently diagnosed with a staph infection (paronychia) under the cuticle on two fingers.  There is still swelling in both fingers.  I have noticed that if I push down just right on the pad of my fingertips (on those two fingers) - or when I am doing something that uses the fingertips that they are sore and tender.  Is it possible that a tendon or ligament is irritated due to the swelling and that pressing on it makes it tender?  I don't see any noticeable infection or much swelling in the fingertips themselves.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my question.
Hello!

Paronychia is a soft tissue infection around a fingernail. Any infection will have inflammation and the usual symptoms are swelling, redness, warmth and pain. Sometimes with mild infection the pain and inflammation are the only symptoms. The area surrounding the nail bed like the tips of the fingers also have pain with pressure. When the paronychia infection subsides your pain will decrease.

Take care!