Orthopedics Community
Can surgical screws cause chronic pain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Can surgical screws cause chronic pain?

I had surgery to fux a bunion 6 months ago, and had a screw inserted into my foot. The Dr. told me I could have the screw removed if it bothered me. I am still in pain. Would this be an side effect of the screw?

What are the pros and cons of leaving the screw in?

Thank you
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

A screw is always a foreign body and in some cases it causes pain due to lack of space and movement of tendons and muscles or rubbing onto neighboring structures.

Discuss with your surgeon and go for an X-ray and take a decision. If proper asepsis had been maintained and the healing was good then there would be no side effects due to the screw other than the symptoms.

Take care!