Orthopedics Community
Cannot bend my thumb finger

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Cannot bend my thumb finger

By birth my thumb finger is impossible to bend. Both the right and left. It is thin in nature when it is compared with normal thumb finger.I would like to know why is that so and do other people have the same state. Most important thing to tell you is it is not disturbing me in doing any work. I can write well, hold anythting properly etc. But just wanna know the reason behind this...

Thank you sir.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

I would want to check if you have any other associated developmental anomaly.

It may be due to some problem in pregnancy with your mother (drug reaction or infections) or genetic inheritance.

I would suggest you to go for X-rays of both your thumbs and follow up with an orthopedician for examination and further suggestions.

Take care!

I am 13 and I have the same with my thumb not bending and unusually thin and it is a bit weaker but just in my right thumb. I had x-rays when I was younger and I don't remember anything about the problem except that I was just born missing a few bones. I have no problems except some people have asked me what is wrong with it and I just said nothing. It is weaker than a normal thumb and I can't do things like hold a bowling ball so I have to do it with two hands. I wish there was a way to get it back to normal as it can be a problem and I am always contious of it and try not to show it to people. I am glad it's not just me with this and can relate to others but I do wish that there would be a way to solve it but I think I would have it fixed by now if there was. It's hard to talk to my parents about it and ask them if I can do anything about it so I never have. I just hate that if I need to tell someone about it such as my boyfriend that they would leave me just because of it. Thanks :)
My right thumb is like this also, my mother has two that don't bend, they don't have the little wrinkle things, when she was born they were going to cut two of her toes off and put them where her thumbs are, they didn't though.  but both of us have no problem at all, my right thumb is just as strong, I'm actually right handed, I draw,  I'm just curious as to how many people have this and what causes it, I'm not bothered by it but I've never seen anyone else with it and it's obviously genetic since I got it too and I'd like to know if my daughter (if i ever have one) could get this, I have two brothers and they don't have it