Orthopedics Community
Carpal Tunnel/EMG Results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Carpal Tunnel/EMG Results

I have bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome. I had an EMG (nerve study). According to the surgeon I consulted , I have "moderate" nerve damage in both hands. He recommended CTS surgery right away because of the nerve damage. He does not recommend any conservative treatments.

My question is this: Once moderate nerve damage has occurred, is surgery the ONLY recourse? Or, if other treatments are used to relieve the symptoms, will the nerve damage continue?

To complicate it, the symptoms started while I was pregnant. I'm about 4 months post-partum now, and the symptoms have diminished, but my fingers are still numb.

Thank you,
CJ

CT surgery is done to give more space for the nerve so that pressure is not put on the nerve. Conservative treatment is usually not recommended in patients who have evidence of nerve damage. Surgery usually gives relief in most cases but may not be that effective if the cause of the carpal tunnel syndrome is an underling condition such as rheumatoid arthritis, obesity, or diabetes. Your doctor would have discussed these conditions with you and probably ruled them out.

For pregnant women, surgery is delayed till childbirth, as the symptoms usually disappear without treatment after delivery. In your case, the symptoms of are still persisting (although less). You can get another EMG done if the earlier one was done during pregnancy to see the difference in the findings.

Do write in if you need more information.

Regards.