Orthopedics Community
Chest Pains- Costochondritis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Chest Pains- Costochondritis?

A year back, I woke up one night with sharp pain on the right side of my chest, it hurt very bad when i took in deep breaths...obviously the doctors diagnosed it with costochondritis. I was put on a regiment of NSAID's and it helped over time.  After the occuarnce happened more times, I went to the ER to make sure it was not a collapsed lung, which it was not, was given a pain killer, and then the doctor started me on oral steroids (Prednisone) to help.  I have lived in fear after this not trying to lift too much or do too much activity or lift too much weight, fearing to wake up in the middle of the night with the unbearable pain on the right side of my chest.

Recently, I went to a orthepedist who gave me two injections of cortizone on the right side of the chest which did help the numb pains I was having before the past month on the side of my chest that made my chest feel weighted down (like a wet sponge)...After the injections, I felt pain around that side of the chest but it was not in that spot furthermore which was good.

These past few days I have been getting more intense feelings on the original spot where I feel the pain normally, especially it hurts when I sneeze or cough a bit (allergies) and take Aleve every night before I go to bed hoping I won't wake up with the pain.

Is there anything you would recommend or anything you suggest checking into or doing to hopefully help/cure my problem?  Could it be something like a stitch or anything else?  Would more cortizone help?

Thanks!
Dear,

Local heat or ice may be helpful in relieving the symptoms apart from the medication.

Avoid unnecessary exercise or activities that make the symptoms worse.
You are getting the right treatment for costochondritis.
Surgical removal of the sore cartilage may be required if there is no response to medical therapy. Your doctor will refer you to a surgeon if this option is necessary.
You should try to allay your anxiety which may help reduce your pain.
Thanks for the fast response!

I was wondering if there's any other conditions that this could fit under?  I have stayed away from those activities for a while in hopes it would help relieve the scar tissue or "sore" tissues, and same with the anti-inflammatory but nothing seems to fully help resolve it...