Orthopedics Community
Child with Non-ossifying fibroma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Child with Non-ossifying fibroma

My 8 year old daughter started crying with knee pain on Wed night.  I took her to the hospital and they did Xrays.  They called yesterday saying that there is not fracture but they found: this is what the report reads.

Well - marginated, sclerotic and eccentric lateral femoral metadiaphyseal 1.9 X 0.5 cm lucent lesion which is most compatible with a nonossifying fibroma.

She still has pain.  I understand that this is a tumor but is this something that I need to look into?  Is this tumor located in the bone?  And is the 1.9 X 0.5 cm the size of the tumor?     What would be the next steps to take?  I really don't understand this and they did not give me a lot of information.  Could this be causing her pain?  Any information would be great.
We are going to the doctor tomorrow.  Any one have any input?
     How are you? Non-ossifying fibroma is a benign condition that usually affects the junction where metaphysis joins the end of the bone and this is seen commonly in children and adolescents. Diagnosis is made with the help of x-rays and CT.
Common symptoms are chronic pain due to pathological fracture or due to size of the tumor or its location.
If repeated fractures occur, the procedure of choice is usually curettage and bone grafting. Although every patient is different, the long-term outlook for a patient with a non-ossifying fibroma is generally excellent.
All the best.