Orthopedics Community
Chip fracture in big toe - when to seek more help?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I seem to have a chip fracture in the joint between the distal and proximal phalanges of my big toe. I had an appointment with the chiropractor tonight anyway and he took a couple x-rays that showed what looked like a couple cracks and several pieces chipped off. The pain is all in the big toe, the first and second joints, and the second joint of the toe next to it. I've got them buddy taped and have been icing and elevating. My toes are now starting to tingle. He said if I end up going to an orthopedist in a few days, that he'd give me a copy of the x-rays. What I didn't think to ask is what he thought might make a visit to the ortho necessary. I didn't think there was much that could be done for broken toes...unless the chips are really out of place or something. They didn't appear to be but I wouldn't know. Is there a way to tell when it's time to have it looked at more closely?

Thank you!
Hi there!

Well, it is difficult to comment specifically on the situation without knowing the relevant clinical details. The fractures chips of bone could indicate an underlying degeneration and if these have failed to heal well, I would recommend consultation with an orthopedician to rule out possible secondary issues and suggestion of an appropriate management plan. Meanwhile I would suggest resting the foot and limiting weight bearing. Tylenol/ OTC NSAIDS may be helpful for symptomatic relief.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank You, that is great advice. I am currently taking hydrocodone/apap 5-500mg (3 times a day) and Garapentin 300mg twice a day working my way up to three times a day. It seems the more Garapentin I take the more pain I have in my lower back and more numbness in my right foot. Is there anything that can be done to lessen the pain? By the end of my workday I am in such pain it is hard to sit in the car for a 13 mile ride home. Is more drugs the only answer. I have heard about electical implants to ease the pain. Would I still have to take all these drugs also? I am only 58 and since the fall, I cannot even lift my 2 year old granson. I was an avid runner but the pain is so bad I can't do that anymore. Any suggestions?
Thank you Dr. Kaul. I'm getting around a lot better after almost a week and even tried the elliptical last night. I think I can manage some exercise that way if I'm careful. My toe and local areas are all sorts of grey and dark blue colors, and my PCP sent over orders for another x-ray. I'm getting that done tomorrow to make sure things are starting to heal properly. Still don't have full range of motion but I guess that can take several weeks. Will definitely follow up with an orthopedist if necessary.

Thank you again!