Orthopedics Community
Chip fracture to head and neck of talus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Chip fracture to head and neck of talus

I am 43 and two and a half weeks ago I tore some ligaments in my ankle and acquired what the doctor is calling a chip fracture to the head and neck of the dorsal part of the talus.  I had borrowed a boot and crutches already by the time I went to the doctor, who referred me to an orthopedic surgeon.  The strange thing is that after the first 3 or 4 days there was very little pain, so I walked on the ankle with the boot for a few days before going to the doctor.  The orthopod says the fracture should heal and told me to keep using the crutches.  Other than that, he really did not give me much detail at all.  I live in a house full of stairs and cannot even get outside or do laundry without going down them.  He said it was okay to put weight on the foot with the boot when I went down the stairs.  
I have been as careful as I can to only put weight on the ankle when I have no other choice, but now the ankle is really hurting.  At first, there was very little pain involved.  Is this just the healing process or did I somehow make it worse?  
I injured myself when I missed a stair and fell, turning my ankle in and falling.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
With the boot and support, you can walk and use the stairs and do normal work. As you only have the chip fracture according to your orthopaedician the advice is that normal work with boots and support without any exersion would heal you. Take some pain killers and if it does not help then you have to visit your orthopaedician to reassess your case. Take care!