Orthopedics Community
Chipped Bone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Chipped Bone

I recently sprained my ankle and got an x ray, a few days later the hospital rang me and said i had a small chip on my bone. They just said keep it strapped and elevated. But there's no pain anymore with it and i can walk fine. Any one i talk to says that I should be in a cast for it. Is this true?
Hi dear,
Chipped bone or Osteochondritis dissecans (OCD) is a problem that causes pain and stiffness of the ankle joint.Most cases of OCD usually follow a twisting injury to the ankle and are actually fractures of the joint surface
The cause of most cases of OCD are thought to be actual chip-type fractures. These fractures occur with severe ankle sprains.
Nonsurgical treatment includes immobilization in a cast for six weeks  to see if the bone injury heals. If your pain is fine then healing process is good,still if you feel the pain then you should see a orthopedic surgeon.
Goodluck