Orthopedics Community
Chipped bones

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Chipped bones

I havee chipped a cuboid bone in my right foot and have now had a foot cast on for 3 weeks could anyone tell me how long this process would take to heal
Avatar_dr_m_tn
With rest and immobilisation it would take atleast 8 weeks.
With increase in age the healing takes longer and as the whole weight of the body is on your foot, it take longer for foot bones.
Foot cast will help you for faster recovery, as your movements are immobilised and this will aid the bone healing.  Take care!
I have had my boot cast on for 3 weeks, when i go back in 3 weeks do you think they will tell me to keep it on or give me a soft boot cast as i am going away in 8 weeks and a bit worried
Avatar_dr_m_tn
This would depend on your latest X-rays and your healing and clinical symptoms. This is difficult to say now as with time and you following all the instructions your healing will also be good.
Do not worry about anything other than taking care of your leg and following the instructions. If you recover perfectly you will not have any complications later. Take care!
thanks for that, i go back to the hospital on 3 weeks, that will make it 7 weeks since i did it, hopefully they will do another xray, lets hope i will be ok to go on holiday in september
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Take care and follow up properly and remember healing is not like text book notes.
It depends on how good the patient follows instructions, depends on age, depends with person to person. You are doing good till now.

Stop worrying about one holiday. If you are fine you can go holidays whenever you want.

Take care!
I was advised by the dr to take the boot off for 1 hour a day after 4 weeks, i have done this and it really hurts, does this mean it is mending or should I put the boot back on, several people have told me that i may have to have a plaster cast on if this does not heal when i go back, or even worse they may have to operate to remove the chipped bones, the thing that worries me that when i first had it xrayed they said i had one chipped bone and when i went back in a week they said i had 2 how could they have missed that and also do you think they should have xrayd it again as i could have done more damage in the week i had a tubi grip on
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Go for a latest MRI and compare the healing from the 1st Xray and  also the follow up X-rays and if it is not good then we advice you to go for proper plaster cast and rest for 12 weeks.

If that does not work surgery is the last option. Have proper balanced diet with more of protein and take rest. Take care!
sounds like a long process does that mean 12 weeks after the injury, do you think i shoud keep my boot on
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Yes healing is a long process and more important is the correct advice and treatment.

Your assessment of present condition and improvement is very important.
If required take a second opinion.

If you go for surgery ask your orthopaedician to explain all pros and cons.

Take care!
been to hospital amd they discovered that i only had one chipped bone not 2, havingg pysiotherapy now but confused as i have been using my crutch on my bad side and now told to use it on my good side, another nurse said to use it on the bad side so very confused
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Crutch should be used on the right side so that you put pressure on the right side while putting your foot on ground so that the bad side will have less stress and you just drag it. Take care!
ok so use the crutch on the good leg
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Yes you use the crutch on your healthy leg.

The whole idea is to transmit your body weight on the healthy leg so that you can propel your healing leg slowly. This would help in not putting pressure on your healing leg.

Take care!
i chipped my elbow about 5 r6 months ago and the hospital didnt do anything...it is getting worst and now i cant close my hand and my arm is getting hard.
iIhave a chipped cuboid bone: left foot and sprain been to the hospital and all they gave me where crutches it really hurts its been 2 weeks now, should i have a boot of some kind