Orthopedics Community
Chondroplasty

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Chondroplasty

I am going in for surgery in 1 week and was curious to know the following:
when having arthroscopy/chondroplasty done, are you up and walking out of the clinic same day of surgery?  I have seen many postings saying "non weight bearing" from 1 week to 1 month?  I haven't gone in for pre-op appointment to ask this question yet to my OS, so any information would be helpful.
Arthroscopy allows an orthopaedic surgeon to diagnose and treat knee disorders by providing a clear view of the inside of the knee with small incisions, using a pencil-sized instrument called an arthroscope.
Chondroplasty is the term used for corrective surgery of the cartilage.
The procedure is performed as a day care and you would be discharged about four hours after the procedure based upon your condition. You would not be allowed to walk on the same day.
Recovery from knee arthroscopy is much faster than recovery from traditional open knee surgery.
At home,
        -- Keep your leg elevated as much as possible for the first few days after surgery.
       ---should avoid directing water at the incisions.  Keep your incisions area clean and dry.
      ----You may be advised to use crutches, a cane, or a walker for a period of time after surgery. You can gradually put more weight on your leg as your discomfort subsides and you regain strength in your knee. Your surgeon may allow you to drive after a week.
Good luck for the surgery