Orthopedics Community
Chronic Achilles Tendinosis-Please Help
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Chronic Achilles Tendinosis-Please Help

Hi everyone!

During my winter snowboard training I suffered from Achilles tendinitis (most likely bursitis) and had to stop any activities for about 2-3 weeks, while wearing a splint constantly, as my sports doctor instructed me. He didn't give me any steroid injections, or NSAIDs or any medication whatsoever.

After that I started doing eccentric heel exercises(since everyone is discussing their effectiveness) for about a month (6 sets of 15 reps twice a day). After seeing some results I quickly reached a plateau and the painful lump at the back of my heel wouldn't disappear. Because of frustration and a busy schedule I discontinued the exercises.

As a result, after 5 months I still have a lump (inflammation?) at the back of my foot, there is some mild discomfort when walking after wake up and there is moderate pain if I start running or even make sudden moves(!!) without warming up. It has also become apparent that I cannot engage in any kind of sports activity (although being only 24 years old!).

Can anyone provide some help as to what I should do to get rid of this problem. For example, should I start the exercises again and be more persistent, or should I try a different approach? Surgery is not an option because I am aware of the complications and the, usually, poor results. I would greatly appreciate any kind of help/advice. Thank you in advance.

John