Orthopedics Community
Chronic pain post total shoulder replacement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Here is the short story.  I am an active 58 yr old woman with history of multiple shoulder issues.  In 2006 I had a total shoulder replacement, just a worn out shoulder.  Since then have had 2 revisions and have been in P/T for years.  Now the pain is unbearable and no one can find the cause.  I have no range of motion and basically no use of arm.  I go from doctor to doctor and have been told it is not in my head.  The next step is for me to go to the Cleveland Clinic but I am wondering, is there anyone else that has this trouble with a replacement?
I had a revision of left shoulder because of motorcycle wreck in june 2008. I broke the ball off my arm so they put a shaft down my arm bone with a new ball on it. It felled so the next surgen did a total reversal shoulder surgery April 2009. This is where they take the ball off from your arm and install it on your shoulder. Then they take the socket off your shoulder and put it on your arm. They remove your rotator cuff completley so you use your detoid muscle to work your shoulder. I am 49 years young. I got addicted to those wonderful pain pills ha ha''. Just got out of rehab.Been off pain meds for ten days and the pain is not as bad without the pain meds and my range of motion has improved without the meds. The only thing my wonderful wife will allow me to take is motrin or tylenol. She is an RN and has been for 14 years. She told me if I would just try to get off the prescription meds I would feel better and and most of the fantom pain would go away. So far she was right. Still do not have but about 70% range of motion but I thank God for that after what I have been through.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

What type of Physiotherapy you had? What was your programme after surgery as this is very important to get off the pain?
Follow up with your operating orthopedician and find the reason of the pain, take intermittent pain killers with also usage of ice packs.

Take care!
i just had a full shoulder replacement on the left side .......thinking if i did the right thing?
I too have had 7 shoulder surgeries i have a prothesis and my arm is usless and I am only 45 years old I have slept with ice for over a year and take pain pills and suffer depression due to chronic pain. I wish I had never done this but had no choice as I had a staff infection after and they thought that infection was in my blood and it was in my bone. My shoulder fell apart like a piece of old dead charcoal and now have avn would take any sugestions HELP