Chronic partial acl tear
I've been diagnosed surgically with a chronic partial acl tear in 11/08.  According to the surgery report, my acl is lax.  This was my 7th knee surgery.  I know my acl was torn during a ski accident in 2/00.  I was unable to stand or walk after the injury.  My knee swelled up bad for weeks and I was unable to bend it.   I have had chronic looseness in my knee that can't be fixed by physical therapy.  I have gone to therapy for 4 weeks at a time with 4 separate surgeries.  I have always thought my acl was torn.  The first 2 doctors that operated on me and did a total of 5 surgeries either missed this or don't know what a torn acl looks like?!  I even asked them if my acl was torn.  I have had a lateral meniscus tear and surgery-9/01 and medial meniscus tear-12/05.  I also have worn articular cartilage from having a loose acl.  When I walk, with every step I take, my acl snaps in the posterior part of my knee and is very painful.  I have an expensive acl brace that helps when I wear it.  As soon as I take it off all of the pain and instability return even with just normal everyday walking.  Why do doctors think I can live with this?!  Do they expect me to wear a brace constantly for the rest of my life!?  I have good muscle tone so strengthening my muscles won't help.  Also, I can no longer work my job as a personal trainer that I have done for the last 10 years.  I have trouble sleeping at night because my bones move out of place.  I have been to 10 orthopedic surgeons since my surgical diagnosis.  The orthopedic surgeon that discovered this doesn't do any acl reconstructions.  He doesn't believe in them?!  He thinks a person should live with falling down when they walk. Also, my ankle swells up a lot when I walk and my 2 toes next to my big toe are blue/purple and numb.  This numbness happened in 9/08 when my acl tear got worse when I was doing squats.  My question is how can I get a doctor to do a much needed acl reconstruction on my knee?
You always have a choice for second opinion. Visit a good facility with a good Orthopaedician and take a second opinion. Surgery is the last alternative and Doctors always would go for conservative and if it does not work would prefer surgery as the last alternative. The pain and trauma of surgery is always compared to the quality of life you are leading now and the decisions are given.
Take care and remember do not lose hope and whatever you have told about you, you are quite strong!