Orthopedics Community
Chronic sharp pain in my upper right arm
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Chronic sharp pain in my upper right arm

Hi.....I have sharp stabbing pain along my upper arm (where the shoulder meets the torso.  I think it started a few months ago after I went rowing.  I had moderate pain until last Friday when I tripped and used my right arm to prevent from falling.  Needless to say, I experienced a stabbing pain that was beyond excrutiating.  It is a throbbing, stabbing pain all along my inner arm, down to my forefinger and thumb.  I  can't sleep at night.  The pain was so bad last night that I got up and cried.  I find that if I sleep in an upright position on my back the pain subsides somewhat.  The only thing that has been helping is Advil (I take 4 at a time!!!).  I have no idea what to do.  All I know is that I can't move my arm in any direction without feeling the deep, radiating, throbbing, sharp pain.  By the way, my rotator cuff (part closest to my armpit) is sore to the touch.  What could be  the problem, and will it eventually heal with Advil, rest, and hot and cold compresses?