Chronic sharp pain in my upper right arm
Hi.....I have sharp stabbing pain along my upper arm (where the shoulder meets the torso.  I think it started a few months ago after I went rowing.  I had moderate pain until last Friday when I tripped and used my right arm to prevent from falling.  Needless to say, I experienced a stabbing pain that was beyond excrutiating.  It is a throbbing, stabbing pain all along my inner arm, down to my forefinger and thumb.  I  can't sleep at night.  The pain was so bad last night that I got up and cried.  I find that if I sleep in an upright position on my back the pain subsides somewhat.  The only thing that has been helping is Advil (I take 4 at a time!!!).  I have no idea what to do.  All I know is that I can't move my arm in any direction without feeling the deep, radiating, throbbing, sharp pain.  By the way, my rotator cuff (part closest to my armpit) is sore to the touch.  What could be  the problem, and will it eventually heal with Advil, rest, and hot and cold compresses?
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities include nerve impingement/ compression, capsulitis, bursitis, tendonitis, injuries/ tears, joint subluxation/ dislocation, arthritis, periostitis, muscle/ ligament/ tendon tears/ injuries, fractures, growths/ masses, ischemia etc. I would highly suggest an evaluation by a primary care physician or an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Meanwhile you may try some OTC NSAIDS for pain relief.
Hope this helps.

Take care!