Orthopedics Community
Clavicle re-break

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Clavicle re-break

About 4 months ago i broke my collarbone in a accident playing soccer. It broke sorta in the middle of the bone just in two pieces. After 4 months i still felt a little bit of pain but just thought it would be fine seeing as recovery was taking longer than a normal collarbone break. So i decided to go for a swim at the beach, got dumped by a wave and i felt it break again (although it never fully healed). Iv'e been told that i will probably need surgery now. My question is; after surgery will i ever get full range of motion back and be able to return to contact sports and surfing, i am 17 btw.
Hi there!

Well, though the precise prognosis would depend on the type of break and the type of surgery suggested, in most cases full recovery is usually possible after the few initial weeks; though it would be best to discuss the situation and expected prognosis in detail with your treating doctor.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!