Orthopedics Community
Clicking Toes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Clicking Toes

I recently became curious about about why my big toes click when I walk.  For as long as I can remember, my big toes click audibly on almost every step when I walk barefoot or in sandels.  However, I may just not be able to hear it when I'm wearing other types of shoes.  I have no control over it and cannot stop it from happening.  I guess it is similar to cracking knuckles, but it is more of a click than a crack, so to speak.  I don't experience any pain when it happens, but I do wonder if this could lead to pain or arthritis later on down the line and what is causing it.
Hi (:
i have the same problem, but only one of my toes does it.
i actually get concerned when it doesnt click because im that immune to it now.
when i went to the doctors, they told me I have bubbles of air inside my cartilage which, when i walk, pops producing the click and it doesnt produce any pain at all, except when i dont click it, and then i have to because it hurts not to!
apparently i'll have it for as long as i live...and to be honest, its rather fun to watch other peoples faces when i walk! (:
hope this helped (although its a bit late) xxx