Orthopedics Community
Clicking feeling under left rib cage
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Clicking feeling under left rib cage

A couple of months ago when climbing into bed about four hours after a fall, I experienced a very painful muscle spasm under my left rib cage.  The ER doctor said I had probably fractured or bruisded a rib and told me to take painkillers and ice the area  .. pretty standard advice I guess.  It hurt to breathe for about four weeks, but when the rib felt better, I went for physiotherapy for an unrelated (or so I thought) mid-thoracic back problem.

The therapist did some mobilization of the spine, but afterwards the rib pain came back as bad as ever.  Since then, I have had pain on the left side just under the breast.  To best describe it, it feels as if I'm wearing an underwire bra that is 10 sizes too small!  In addition, I am getting a clicking sensation just under the left rib cage in the same spot I had the original muscle spasm.  Is this part of the normal healing process for a fractured or bruised rib?  .... or could it be the dreaded slipping rib syndrome I've been reading about?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.