Orthopedics Community
Collarbone throbs during/after I run

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Collarbone throbs during/after I run

I broke my collarbone about 3 years ago and it hasn't started to bother me until now.
I went to my final check up when I was 13 and they said everything was fine and cleared me to run track.
Now at 16 I am still running track but at a completely different level.
I didn't start feeling it until this summer season and I feel like the heat may be a part of it.
While i'm running I get a throbbing pain where I broke my collarbone.
Mostly when we do hills and i'm leaning forward or when we do very fast short sprint work.
The only way I found to relieve the pain was to just wait it out.
I really couldn't do anything at practice to stop it so I just had to keep running with it.
My coach would always tell me to breathe and put my arms on top of my head but it hurt to keep my right arm for so long so I just let it go limp and let my other hand grab my wrist so it would stay up above my head.
And I find it difficult to move my arms faster during the workout when my coach tells me to because of the throbbing.
Is there anyway to relieve the pain?
Application of an ice pack to the affected area is a great remedy of pain. Inflammation is causing much of your pain, so NSAIDs willalso hlp, but alter take with fiid,

There may be something wrong with your shoulder, as you were young when you had this surgery, and I imagine that your have grown some since then. Perhaps the pin or plate is interfering with a growth plate? (only a guess).

Perhaps its time to see your doctor and check out what's really happening in there.