Complete tear of ACL
My husband was told yesterday that he has complete tear of the ACL in his right knee. The ortho that we saw said surgery was nessary. But here's the problem my husband is in the police academy and we paid for him to be in the academy. The ortho said that he thinks that he can get through the academy with a custom knee brace which he was fitted for. Is there anything else that he can do to help with the knee (i.e. meds, supplments, exercises, anything) Advice would be helpful
ACL repair is a pretty big operation, with significant recovery time.
But i think ur hubby should have it fixed when he can, cause being a cop, his goin to need his knee to function.

good luck
Orthopedists are pretty eager to operate, so if one told me that I could get by with a brace, I'd be pretty happy to.

Enoch Choi, MD
I have managed for nearly a year now with only part of my acl in tact.  I partly tore it last may along with my meniscus and mcl.  My mcl and meniscus have healed but my acl obviously has not.  I guess each person is individual and maybe your hubby does need it badly, but dont rush into anything too soon but still you don't want to risk further damage by not going ahead with the op

noodles
My 17 year old daughter had a complete tear of her ACL.  Our surgeon told us that she did not need an ACL unless she was very active.  He said a brace was available to keep the knee from going backwards.  She did have the surgery.  It was a double bundle which is suppose to make the knee more like it was before the tear.  She has complete motion now.  She tore her ACL on Palm Sunday 2006 and is hoping for a release in June 2007.  She had therapy 6 weeks before the surgery and until December 2006.  She is now allowed complete activity with a knee brace.  Hopefully the brace will be a done deal in June.  Just a note that her surgeon was very conservative.  Other people we know who had the same surgery didn't need any brace after they completed their PT.  Hope this is helpful.