Orthopedics Community
Complications of hip labral tear surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I was diagnosed in November of 2008 with a hip labral tear in my left hip. The doctor who diagnosed my problem used Xrays and an MRI.For various reasons, I decided to consult a specialist sports medicine doctor who specializes in arthroscopic surgery in hips.I saw this specialist in January 09. He suggested my pain was coming from another source and preferred to have me see a physiatrist in his practice to treat an SI joint disfunction.

I have done PT for the SI joint, had a steriod injection in my SI joint and 2 in my hip joint. None of these has brought lasting relief from hip pain. I am restricted in what I can do, frequently reinjuring this area and causing severe pain.

I am concerned that surgery may not solve my pain and then what. So what can I expect from the surgery. I am healthy, have no deterioration in my hip joint, according to the Xrays, and I am 60 years old. Also, I am active. Before the injury I was riding a bicycle at least 60 miles a week and hiking.
Dear Yobroc,

I am 60 as well, have been experiencing hip pain for a few years and tried a variety of treatments, including the osteopathic manipulation and SI belt.  I now have MRI proof of bi-lateral labral tears and don't know whether to consider surgery or not.  I read mixed messages and even got a mixed message from the doc.  You sound just like me!  What is happening with you now, a year after the post I've just read.