Concern regarding the cortisone injection in my ankle
I had ankle surgery over a year ago and my ankle started to bother me.  I went to my ankle surgeon and he said it could e inflammation and gave a cortisone injection.  It has been over a week ago since I got that injection and it is still sore.  Is this normal?

Also, the injection site got bigger and is discolored and there is bruising around it and to the right of it.  It is also still sore.  Is this normal also over a week ago? Should I be worried?

Thank you in advance.
Cassie
Does anyone have any thoughts?  Has anyone had a cortisone injection?

The injection site on my ankle got bigger and it is still discolored with bruising around it and to the right of it.  Is this normal?  Should I be worried?

Cassie
It should not be there for a week. Some people have reaction but just confirm near your doctor what exactly the symptoms are: due to your ankle problem or due to improper injection delivery at site. I would suspect an improper injection delivery at the site and it even happens with experienced hands and next time you suggest that he would be careful. Take care!
Thank you for replying. I also have a small bump to the right of the injection site. Do you know what this could be?

It is after three weeks since I got the cortisone injection and the symptoms from that injection are still here and now I have a small bump.

Cassie
If the bump appeared after the injection and stayed for 3 weeks it is sure improper injection delivery. If it is painful this might be some irritation, bursitis, tendonitis.

Several precautions should be taken when using steroid injections. Care should be taken to avoid direct injection of tendons because of the danger of rupture. Avoid injection into adjacent nerves of the target area .

Allow adequate time between injections, generally a minimum of four to six weeks.

Pay attention to the depth of needle insertion to avoid needle trauma to articular cartilage. Finally, avoid injecting several large joints simultaneously because of the increased risk of hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal suppression and other adverse effects.

Go to your orthopaedician for examination and diagnosis. Take care!