Orthopedics Community
Continuous Muscle Spasms In Shoulder (Post Op)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

In May of this year I had major shoulder surgery to repair a HAGL lesion in my right shoulder. Surgery began as a routine arthroscopic surgery similar in approach to a Bankart repair. During the procedure, after two anchors were installed; it was determined that the extent of the damage was too great to achieve the desired results to the surgery was transitioned into a full open procedure. Two more anchors were installed for a total of 4 and the lesion was repaired and the shoulder joint tightened and stabilized.

Now it is August and my arm has healed and I am undergoing aggressive physical therapy to regain strength and range of motion. However, I've begun to notice that the deltoid muscle spasms all the time. It always occurs on the front of my arm essentially where the deltoid meets the cephalic vein/deltoid branch of the thoracoacromial artery. I meant to ask my physical therapist today but got distracted while working through the pain and I have not had a chance to see my surgeon in regards the matter.

I know this is not a life threatening issue; mostly this is just a case of my curiosity wanting to know why I have an almost constant muscle spasm. My assumption is that the trauma inflicted on the muscle group during surgery is still prevalent; again, curiosity is getting the best of me.

Thanks in advance.