Correct treatment for Pott's spine
Dear Doctor

My father aged 59 years has been diagnosed with Pott's Spine on D10-11. He is mild diabetic, currently with the fasting sugar of 115 without medicine.

He has been recommended-  
1. ASH BRACE
2. AKT-4
3. Streptomycin- 0.75 gm
4.  Tarivid -200
5. Benadon

Kindly advise me whether he is being given correct treatment or not?  I have heard that either Streptomycin or Tarivid 200 should be given and these two medicines should not be given together.

He is on ATT since last one week but we have not noticed any improvement in the pain.

Regards,
Suvesh
Hello!

I would suggest you to take a second opinion in a DOTS center located in every town of India near a TB and chest specialist.

In resistant tuberculosis we prescribe the use of ofloxacillin and steptomycin along with 4 drugs for 2-3 months followed by 2 drugs for 6-7 months. If this is not resistant then ofloxacillin and steptomycin is not necessary. Complete clinical history and the immune state of your father is important so after clinical and diagnostic correlation his orthopedician might have prescribed him.

If he has resistant and consistent tuberculosis then the reason for this prescription can be substantiated.

Take care!