Could L5/S1 cause pain in hip, knee and ankle
Recently (25-Aug) when I went to stand up I had excruciating pain in my right hip joint.  Every step was agony and it felt like the impact was intense.  I went to the physion who thought I may have pinched the sciatic nerve in the piriformis muscle; so he did a lot of pressure work to try and release the nerve.  By the time I saw him for the next appointment, I had pins and needles running down my right leg and concentrating on the underside of my foot.  He then revised his diagnosis (which is fine) and said that I probably had a bulging disc L5/S1, which was causing the pins and needles down my leg.  Now (17-Sep), the pins and needles have subsided somewhat but I am now getting concentrated pain in my hip, knee and ankle.  I haven't been to see my GP but will do so next week.  I only took over the counter anti inflammatories for about 7 days after the injury; and now I am not taking anything.  Any suggestions on what this could be?  Many thanks
Herniated disc at the level of L4-5 and L5-S1 can lead to a a sharp, burning, stabbing pain radiating down the posterior or lateral aspect of the leg, to below the knee.
Pain can be accompanied by numbness and tingling. Motor deficits may also be seen.

The diagnosis of such conditions can be done by a MRI scan and hence you should see a specialist for the same. In the meantime, you should take rest and avoid any heavy work which might worsen the symptoms.

Do write in after your consultation.
Regards

Many thanks for your response.

The pins and needles have subsided somewhat.

The pain is now mainly in the front and outside of the lower leg with a band of pain in my right knee and right ankle.  I also get quite sore if I walk for any length of time.

I am seeing the physio once a week who has been doing some manipulation and then I get to stretch out on the rack; and have been going to Pilates (1/week) for a stretch and strengthen session.

My appointment with the GP has been postponed (the GP is off sick).

I am lifting nothing heavier than the cat (4 kg).
Just a quick post to let you know that I (finally) saw my GP on Monday.  He didn't say much apart from agreeing to my pain management plan (over the counter anti inflammatories and physiotherapy).

We did not discuss the need for an MRI.

By now the pins and needles have subsided significantly.  I am still having concentrated pain spots but not as bad as before.

Again, many thanks for your post.

tdk