Could a problem in spine cause acid reflux or heartburn?
Ever since I have started having spine problems there is one area in my thoracic that seems to make my acid relux worse or could it be vice versa?  They seem to go together.  This is the area I believe most of my problems stem from but can't get someone to take me seriously.  Its not only the reflux, it is also muscle spasms and nerve pain radiating into the back of my arms traveling down.  Had a cervical fusion and this only helped some arm pain and had actually made my back worse.  The docs said my neck was causing all of this, but it wasn't.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks
Hello Dear,
Spine problems do not cause acid reflux.It could be a side effect of NSAID or pain killers which cause gastric inflammation and dyspepsia,heartburn.You should avoidstrong medicines and always take H2 blockers which prevent acidity..The  muscle spasms and nerve pain radiating into the back of my arms traveling down is not related to this and is due to your spine  problem.
Best
Have you seen a chiropractor?  The spine, right between the shoulder blades, affects the stomache and controls digestion and if the nerves are not functioning properly (i.e. spasm), it can cause reflux and digestive issues.

Please consider going to a chiropractor, I do and it has helped immensely!  There is hope.

Deb
i'm sorry to say you are wrong. Do you have damage to your spine?
Well I do, and I started having acid reflux shortly after a car accident which herniated dics in my back and neck. Now I just had a shelf fall on my neck a few months ago at work, and now I am gurgling and having acid come up into my throat. Unless you have experienced it you shouldn't really say you know. I have doctors trying to tell me that its not my spine, but Medical books don't know more than the many people I have found that are experiencing the same thing!