Orthopedics Community
Could a problem in spine cause acid reflux or heartburn?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Ever since I have started having spine problems there is one area in my thoracic that seems to make my acid relux worse or could it be vice versa?  They seem to go together.  This is the area I believe most of my problems stem from but can't get someone to take me seriously.  Its not only the reflux, it is also muscle spasms and nerve pain radiating into the back of my arms traveling down.  Had a cervical fusion and this only helped some arm pain and had actually made my back worse.  The docs said my neck was causing all of this, but it wasn't.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks
Hello Dear,
Spine problems do not cause acid reflux.It could be a side effect of NSAID or pain killers which cause gastric inflammation and dyspepsia,heartburn.You should avoidstrong medicines and always take H2 blockers which prevent acidity..The  muscle spasms and nerve pain radiating into the back of my arms traveling down is not related to this and is due to your spine  problem.
Best
Have you seen a chiropractor?  The spine, right between the shoulder blades, affects the stomache and controls digestion and if the nerves are not functioning properly (i.e. spasm), it can cause reflux and digestive issues.

Please consider going to a chiropractor, I do and it has helped immensely!  There is hope.

Deb