Orthopedics Community
Could it be fractured? No real swelling, bit of bruising...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

About twelve hours ago, I was reaching under my couch for something . While I was pulling it tightly, I lost my grip and whacked the side of my hand (outside, just under my pinkie knuckle) on the end table beside me. It hurt like only whacking a bone can, but the intensity lasted about 15 minutes longer than just knocking it. I heard what I believe was two CRACKS, although I might have imagined the second one, and the first might have just been my hand contacting the wood. Once the initial pain passed, the area right where I hit it became bruised, with minimal swelling. I can move my pinkie finger, although it hurts if I get too adventurous. The pain seems to radiate down the side of my hand to my wrist, and my finger is tingly off and on. It feels cool as well, although I'm not moving it at my usual pace. The sensation when I move my hand/finger is more one of numbness than describable pain. When I first did it, I took a few Tylenol, and that seems to have helped. I made the mistake of accidentally bumping the same spot into a table, and the initial pain was as intense as the original injury.

I guess I'm wondering whether or not I should bother having it looked at? The intense pain at first was a little disconcerting, but I don't seem to be having any real trouble moving my finger or hand. I've never broken anything, so I have no idea what to look for! Of course, I HAVE heard that if one breaks a bone, it's hard to miss.

Thanks in advance!
Anyone?

I tried to have my hand looked at yesterday, but the hospital walk-in clinic was closed when I got there. Anyway, it's swollen now (not much, though) and pretty bruised. I can use my hand, no problem, and it only seems to really hurt when I touch the area that I hit.

If there's anyone out there, I'd love to hear your thoughts on whether I should have this checked out or not. If it's fractured, I can't imagine that it's a very big one, due to the fact that I still have mobility. Should I even bother going back to the clinic when it's open?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

I would still suggest you to get an X-ray done to rule out any fracture. Once you have done that take all precautions and some pain killers to limit inflammation and depending on the diagnosis to proceed for the treatment. You can apply ice packs to decrease the inflammation.

If you have a fracture it is not suggested to move it as the healing would be hampered so ruling out fracture is important.

Take care!
I banged my leg underneath the knee where the pressure point is I banged pretty hard it hurt really bad . But hardly any swollen only a lot of pain and even though several hours have gone by it's still very painful and my leg has become some what stiff around the knee could I have broken something?
Hi, it's been quite a few hours since I banged my knee and I couldn't sleep from the pain that was going down my leg. My leg around the knee area hurts a lot when I got up this morning my knee was pretty stiff and I have pain going down my leg all the way to my ankle should I get this checked out? Could I have fractured something or could it be just banged up? Is it even possible to fracture anything in that area? Can some one advice me please.
Hey I fell about a day ago and when i fell i hit my leg on the rail, initially it hurt and now whenever i touch it it hurts alot. There is a faint sign of bruising and it hurts throughout the lower part of my leg. I hit it in between the area of my calf and ankle. It hurts alot when it touches something and can feel it slightly when im walking. Should I have it x-rayed or see a doctor or something?