Orthopedics Community
Crepitus (crackling sounds when moving joints)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I've been experiencing crepitus all over my body since May 2006.  Everytime I mention this to doctors they say "oh, that's normal, everybody does that."  Well, it's not normal.  I never had this and then all of a sudden my entire body cracks with every movement.  Sometimes the sounds are so loud I think I might have actually broke a bone!  What is causing this?  I also have muscle aches, knee pain and a bunch of other stuff.  I had blood drawn and they didn't see rheumatoid arthritis.
i crack all over the place too, even my chest.
i was told that it has a lot to do with a lifestyle. i do absolutely no physical activity. so every time i stretch my joints crack.
i would sugest yoga ;)
I have been experiencing Crepitus since I was a teenager. I am now 31 and continuously finding that new parts are cracking. I have begun to experience achiness from all of my joints that crack.  When it began it didn't really hurt but each day of cracking I believe begins to wear on a person.  My jaw, shoulders, fingers, elbows, chest, hip, back, knees, ankles, toes, neck... I don't think I have anything that doesn't crack.   I also have been told that "They are not concerned with the cracking", I have been told that, "Some cracking is normal... pressure builds up in the joint and cracking releaves the pressure" Nothing to worry about.  

I guess what I am requesting is that if you do find someone who is concerned with this... Please keep me updated.  My email address is ***@****.  Good luck to you.  I hope you can find the answers... I have been looking for years.
I feel the clicks and joint grating, crackling and popping sounds only at night when I move in the bed.  During the day I don't hear or feel anything related to crepitus.  One night I was find the next night after a massage it started. I have been going to a chiropractor and while I still pop and crack it seem to weaker or softer
I would like to ask if any of you are or have been on the drug Singulair? I have been on Singulair for 3 yrs. This is when my crepitus started. May be coincidence, but thought I would ask.
every joint in my body cracks...I am Lyme Antibody positive though and it's a symptom of LD but doggone if it doesn't seem to get any better even with my treatment.

I tried swimming and that keeps things going and I sleep better too. Swimming is good for everything as it's easy on the joints.

Being that it's also in my neck -- when I turn my head it clicks -- and in my throat -- when I swallow it feels like thumper is in there -- I am always hearing it. My arms click and my shoulders, my hips, you get the picture. The other day my rib clicked. I am going on a diet to see if weight loss doesn't relieve the pressure.

I face the same thing, cracking sounds all over my body.....
I'm 22 now.... and it as far as i remember it started when I was a teenager... why in the world does this thing happen.
My father says that it seems like the lubrication between your bones have worn out.
That might be it, but if it is then how to remedy it,
Plus what in the world is this kind of a condition called?
Hi. I have noticed that the cracking stops for me when i dont eat yeast, mushrooms, vinegar, glutamate, wheat, oats and milk. Sometimes is cracks from smoked meats too. All of these products are related to yeast proteins, so i think it can be a reaction to the yeast protein and a leaky gut. The joints also crack from antifungal herbs: grape fruit seed extract, caprylic acid, and more. I also think i have a candida overgrowth and this might be why the body over-reacts.
I'm 37 and last summer i just did not feel right.  And then in November of last year, it seemed like all of my joints started cracking and clicking and popping. i hear grating.  Sometimes i fell like i am just falling apart.  I have been so nervous. I have had every rhematoid test drawn and  antimune disorder checked, I have even had a bone cancer screening.  and still nothing.  I am still running test.  I will have my doctor check for lyme disease.  I wish all of you luck in finding your answer.  And best luck for healing and recovery.  God Bless.
I experience the cracking sounds everywhere too! it's scary! most of the time it doesn't hurt but sometimes my forearm, knees, back, and shoulders feel a little tender, I do have carpal tunnel so i'm used to having sore wrists at times....I wish i knew the cause...it is frustrating not knowing what's wrong because it comes on so quickly and it's hard not to think about because every move i make (EVERY MOVE) i hear the cracking sounds. I have to see my doc about this as this only started 8 days ago : ( I'm happy to hear that some of you had some tests done for bone disease or rhuematoid arthritis and tests came back negative...hope same is for me...and yes I do hear alot that these crack sounds are 'NORMAL'...when you are experiencing it though it's not very normal at all am I right? I was never really the athletic type either I'm 33 years old....I hope this goes away eventually? Has it stopped for anybody?
I think I found the root cause of this, quite by accident. I also have had neck, back, & knee cracking & popping and just kinda lived with it, thinking it was "just nornal".  But then, one day, I decided to do a major cleanse.  I did a juice fast for two weeks.  Two huge glasses of fresh squeezed OJ in the morning, then two huge glasses of carrot, beet & apple juice, then several cups of hot water, lemon & a large spoon of maple syrup.

From day 1 to day 4, I started to feel really good, then I went throught the typical healing crisis at day 4-5, felt a little better after that, had a colonic at day 6, then the problems started.  I got wickedly sick, felt really run down, got massive pimples all over my face, my neck hurt really bad, got stiff and that grating noise when I turn my head. I'm thinking, man this does not make any sense, I'm doing everything right and I'm getting worse?  This just does not make any sense.

After some research, I determined it was Candida.  All that fasting was good, except that I was inadvertantly feeding the candida with all that sugar.  The colonic washed away all my good bacteria, and the sugar just made it bloom like crazy.

I immediatly stopped the juice fast and started on an anti-candida diet, and got some CandiGone (herbs) from the health food store along with some garlic pills and some Caprylic Acid capsules. Also, I did a Pasasite cleanse at the same time.  What happened next was absolutely shocking.

I saw hundreds of pinworms in my stool. Also, a lot of stringy stuff that looks exactly like the rhizomes (roots) of candida when it is in it's fungus form. Been on the cleanse for about 10 days now and have noticed a huge reduction in my neck problem.  Also, my knees don't pop anymore and neither does my back.  Also noticing the ringing in my ears getting less as well as the floaters in my eyes. Also I feel like I'm finally thinking & feeling normal.  I was always in such a fog.  This candida, I'm telling you, causes a lot more problems than we know.

Just started taking another product, Lufenuron, that I had to order from Norway.  It breaks open the tough chitin exoskeleton of the fungus and makes it spill its guts out. Too early to tell how its working.  You have to wage an all out war on this bugger.
Approximately one year ago, all of my joints (every last one of them) started clunking and popping.  I have been to so many doctors and had so many tests.  No disease can be diagnosed.  I am exhausted by the clunking and am now also starting to feel pain in some of my joints.  Prior to this occurring, I was extremely active with swimming, walking, weight-lifting, and yoga.  Now about all I can do is sit or lie around.  My life is turned upside down.  Has anyone gotten a clear diagnosis and/or treatment?  I would appreciate any help; I am getting to the desparate phase.
After trying to sort this out for 6 years, one thing made a big difference for me: a teaspoon of sea salt a day. I think the problem is primarily due to a lack or imbalance of the correct minerals in the blood causing acidity in the joints. Taking calcium and magnesium improved it to a certain extent, but increasing my sodium levels made a dramatic difference. The root cause of the mineral imbalance may be due to kidney or adrenal problems. I think candida is a complicating factor, but not the root cause.

Here is a piece on sodium and the joints:

http://www.arthritis-nature-cure.com/cause.htm

Sounds like adverse effects from Cipro/fluoroquinolone. It's basically the weakened tendons that are crackling and popping. Check out this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_effects_of_fluoroquinolones

Unfortunately the damage to the ligaments, joints and tendons from this drug is permanent. You might also be experience IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and/or CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and/or Fibromylgia (fibromyalgia).
i am 26 years  old and i too experience clicking noise all over my body.. it first started with  my left ankle and now it progress to my hip bone, leg bone, upper limbs, and my back when i take a deep breath. my hip bone pops loud at night usually while im in bed... this been going on for at least 1 year. i got labs done for arthritis and everything came out negative.. a chest xrays reveals a 1cm lesion in my thyroid. im the only person in my family to loose hair, " Both of my grandfather had good hair; zero baldness,"  i have major sweating issues, im short comparing to my brothers, and i move my bowels daily.   im freaking out. if anyone knows something please let me know-
I am 39 years old and I also just did not feel right, like something was off.  It started for me at 36-37 years of age.  I have done all test.  I have done a urine test for bone marrow cancer.. I have not done lyme disease.  I thought that i was the only one.  Like i was going crazy.  The doctors just keep saying that it is arthritis. I do have osteoarthritis and they noticed some degeneration in my lower back.  I am a nurse and i know what crepitus means.  There is no reversal, just progression. It just seems to get worse.  I keep thinking that it must be cancer. what else go do this?  All over.  I have gained almost 15 pounds since.  I also started to feel a lump in my throat when i swallowed.  Why?  Why is everyone taking it so lightly? I am going for yet again another opinion, I am in France, its the best place in world for medicine.  We will see. I am sorry everyone out there is suffering.. I am happy to know that i am not crazy.  Its I am not alone...God bless and good luck to all.. Oh I have also read that for women (that i am) bone regeneration stops at the age of 35.  At 36 the feelings began, at 37 the cracking began...
What medication did you use to cleanse yourself of pinworms?
Did you start on anti-candida diet and parasite cleanse at once?
By the way, is that any way to have simple parasite cleanse? as I looked through the internet, they are so complicated =(
I am a 47 year old male.  Six months ago my joints started cracking.  This started after I started taking Nexium.  I herniated a disc in my neck shortly after.  I think it is all associated.
I have the exact same symptoms as you. It all started with back pain for years ago. At first it was hard upper back pain, and later the entire back and my whole body. I had also trauma to my head when I was beaten and then began to get many other things like swallowing problems and later that crepitus.Im having crackling on my entire head.Im also having floaters on my eyes and many kind of other problems mostly with my back and neck and stiffness in my body.
I have it too. I am a 43yr female and I started to experience it in my knees about 2yrs ago.  It has now really caught my attention because I am now cracking my ankles as well as my knees.  I could crack them, and 5 minutes later (the gas???) will be back and I crack again.  It is terrible.  I don't understand why I am so crackly.  I don't exercise a bit--but I have just begun to swim and my ankles feel wonderful in the pool whatever motion I make--no pain and it just feels good to move them without the harsh cracking.  I haven't seen any dr for it.  However, I did test positive a few times for a RH factor---but no dx.  My grandmom and older sis has rhumatoid arthritis.  This may be the beginning signs since it hurts equally on both sides of my body.  I really wish we could find out what is going on with our bodies.  
Fellows, I have had an adverse reacton to Cipro/Methyl antibiotics 3 years ago.  Since then I had cracking/popping of joints too.  I now realize the underlying condition is INFLAMMATION--an area that has not been thoroughly studied as in other fields, surprisingly!  Just search under "antiinflammatory diet" and stick to this diet as much as you can.  You WILL feel the difference.
I have Crepitus in all of my joints now. It started in my rib cage 6 years ago and whatever this disorder is, has progressed quickly. It's scary. The muscles, tendons and ligaments are involved, too. They feel SO tight that I can hardly move.  The pain from all of this: SEVERE. I'm only 44 years old and I used to be a major athlete.  I am quickly crippling and I don't know why. Doctors continue to blow it off. Oh, my joints are locking on me now, too. I think we all should demand to have our Synovial Fluid cells/ levels, evaluated. (Synivial Fluid Aspiration.) Also, lab tests done for every possible blood test available for Joint Infections. Those 2 types of analysis' just seem logical to me to start out with. Anyway, I desperately want my life back. I can't go to a gym anymore because it's just too painful and locking joints don't respond well to working out. I've been stuck on my couch for over 6 years now. I'm starting to get really scared. Any other suggestions? We ALL need to help each other figure this out. God bless you. Kristina :)
I've had severe crepitus for 8 years now. EVERY joint in my body is doing it now. It's something progressive, obviously. I've been taking Vicodin for it all of these years and wonder if any of you take that too. Maybe the long term Vicodin causes it by depleteing the fluid or drying out joints? Your thoughts?
YOGA is good....But it's alot more strenuous than pple think if they are not used to moving around i tried it and about died the 1st time lol ...but i still crack and hurt so it did not really help for me i do it once a week for an hour all it really does is relax my mind not my body i've been doing it for 3 months now
I am 18 and my back does the same thing. i am getting realy worried about it. so does my shoulders when i rotate it.. it does not hurt but is very agitateing. and worried that i might go paralized or something i had x ray done and nothing came back abnormal. so i guess i am going to be alright maybe.
Woooow...i didnt know these crackings happens to that many people...i thought im the only one in the dark about what caused it and how to solve it...I'm 46...have had these 'popcorn cracking noise' for 2, 3 years now...Last night, i felt a very sharp pain through my whole boby especially my spine....I got up try to get motrin but could not walk...so i lay down and it went away after about 10 minutes...those 10 minutes put me through a horrible pain... Until  i or someone can figure it out, I tell myself to start doing at least 15 minutes of excercise or yoga to stretch my back (i have had back pain for years)..
Wow that's amazing! How are you doing now? I think so many things are assocated with fungus, bacteria, yeast overgrowth that are undiagnosed or misdiagnosed. Thanks for your post!
did you ever take any acne medication named sotret,accutane,isotretinion.because these problems like eye floaters,brain fog ,joint cracking are typical side effects of this medicine.
I read your comment about the thyroid disorder. Did you ever find out what the problem was? I am experiencing the same issues. My doctor keeps telling me I'm fina but i know something is wrong!
Can you list the brand names of the products you used? I would REALLY like to try what you did, but I'm nervous about going out and just buying anything. Thank you so much!
I know this post is really old, but it may be my answer...I got sudden crepitus after an appt with my allergist. He put me on an antibiotic for sinusitus and on singulair for allergies.  Within 7 days, my joints (mostly knees, but also hip) started popping like crazy - even while in bed. I couldn't move without the noise.  I panicked and thought it was the antibiotic (it wasn't Cypro-family, thank goodness) but I had the doctor change it and report the side effect. I didn't even consider it may have been the singulair!!  So did yours stop/get better when you stopped taking it??  Would love to know what you did next.