Orthopedics Community
Cubital Tunnel Syndrome Help Please?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Cubital Tunnel Syndrome Help Please?

I just had my second EMG and nerve conduction test. Well they finally found what was causing the numbness and weakness in my left hand. It appears I have a compressed ulnar nerve at the elbow and I have been referred to Athletic Medicine. Anyway the appointment is a ways off and I am worried about what this might do for me work wise. I am having a hard time with a few areas of my job is why I went in, in the first place. Do they normally put you on restrictions right away or do they wait to see how things are going? I guess what is my issue might help. I am having a hard time opening twist off lids and medicine bottles I cannot open at all. I am also dropping things when I hold them in my left hand. I am having a hard time gripping things in general and the strangest thing of all if it is related, is my wrist feels really weak. If I try to use my left hand when getting up it feels as though the wrist will snap. Any advise or similiar stories are welcome and thanks in advance for any and all help.
Avatar_dr_m_tn

Anatomically cubital fossa is the area behind your elbow. If there is increased pressure on the ulnar nerve where it passes here then the condition is called cubital tunnel syndrome.

When the pressure on the nerve is great enough to disturb the way the nerve works then numbness, pain and tingling can be felt in the elbow, forearm, hand and fingers. The numbness or tingling most often occurs in the ring and little fingers which is chiefly supplied by ulnar nerve. Often symptoms will be felt when the elbow is held in a bent position for a period of time, such as when holding the phone, or while sleeping.

Symptoms may sometimes be relieved without surgery, particularly if the EMG testing shows that the pressure on the nerve is minimal.  Changing the way you use your elbow may significantly reduce the pressure on the nerve. Avoiding putting your elbow on hard surfaces may help, or wearing an elbow pad over the ulnar nerve and elbow may help. Keeping the elbow straight at night with a splint also may help. A session with a therapist to learn ways to avoid pressure on the nerve may be needed.

When symptoms are severe or do not improve, surgery may be needed to relieve the pressure on the nerve.

Take care!