Orthopedics Community
Cuboid Bone Fracture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Cuboid Bone Fracture

I fractured my cuboid bone 9 weeks ago today.  I was in the cam walker boot for the first 2 weeks, casted for 6 weeks and now I am back in the boot.  The Dr. told me I was not allowed to bear weight on the foot at all, and I have listened.  The bone is not healing, and I am still unable to out any pressure on the foot.  Yesterday I received a bone stimulator which is supposed to help the bone to heal, but isn't this a VERY LONG time for a fracture.  I have listened to everything the Dr has told me to do and it still isn't healing.  I have to go back to work and I don't know what to do? Is surgery a better option?
Hi there!

Non healing/ non-union is not an uncommon issue with cuboid fractures. It is a relatively long but not a very long time for the fracture to heal. There is a good chance that bone stimulators might just work. A surgery is often not required and it’s too early to decide for one. If unfortunately the bone does not respond other interventional measures may be tried as well. For now I would suggest going with your doctor.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!