Orthopedics Community
Cuboid Fracture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Cuboid Fracture

Hello-

In March I fractured my cuboid in a grotto in Ecuador and also stretched (near torn, but not) my tendon.  Doctors misread the XRays and I went for 16 weeks without any cast until I had an MRI done, which showed the localized adema, and the fracture, which is not displaced but a vertical fracture of the bone.  I was advised by the podiatrist to wear a CAM boot for 8 more weeks and if it still hurts to come back and see them. (Not really sure what they get paid to do, but that's besides the point) I have been reading a lot about this type of injury and have a few questions:

1.  If I am not wearing the CAM 24/7, what is the point? My foot moves around within?
2.  I still have swelling in that area and pain, and numbness in a few toes- does the tendon take longer to heal before the bone heals?
3.  Is it better to try to move towards a tennis shoe and see how far I can push the foot without pain?  
4.  During the day at work (desk job) I keep it in the CAM but seems to just make my foot numb.  At night and on the weekends I try to go for walks to test it out...am up to a few miles so far, with minimal pain until the next day, very tight, sore and pain upon first walking in the morning.  

I guess what Im getting at here, I really am missing the point of using the CAM 16 weeks later, other than to make my foot weaker and cause more pain - (in more pain now, since wearing it)  

If the bone doesn't fuse together after 8 more weeks, what happens?  Is surgery even an option for this or should I just deal with the pain and leave it broken>?  
Hi!
I can understand your frustration. Non-union or delayed is often seen in cuboid fractures due to improper immbolization as seen in your case. You could test and see if the CAM boot is your size since you feel it is loose. Also, you should not attempt long walks on this. If there is pain and swelling then dipping the feet in warm water may help. You can remove the boot if you are sitting in one place for long. However, you should wear them while walking and this walking should be just for your daily routine. Avoid weight bearing on the affected foot as much as possible. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.