Orthopedics Community
Cuboid Fracture/Fragmented

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Cuboid Fracture/Fragmented

I really need some insight to this:  Your story could be mine.  I fractured my cuboid on March 27.  I was put in a boot the same day and am still walking with it.  I walked on it for 6 weeks before finding out it was broken as the 1st set of X-Rays did not show the break.  At 6 wks the dr. ordered an MRI which showed I had fragmented the cuboid not just fractured it.  It also showed it was a non-union and not healing.  A bone stimulator was ordered that I have to wear 10 hours a day hoping it will start bone to grow.  My foot stayed swollen until I started seeing my chiropractor and he wrapped it.  He couldn't understand why 1 orthopedist and 1 podiatrist did not wrap it to keep it from swelling.  It helped tremendously but still swells . It got so bad that I was wrapping each toe individually.  It has now been 12 weeks on July 19.  I saw the podiatrist again this week and he said "it is an enigma".  He doesn't understand why it is now staying so swollen.  He wanted me to get compressions knee high stockings (open toe), which I did, and it certainly has helped.  However, my toes are still swelling.  It is helping my ankle although it swells behind the ankle.  My foot is still red looking and sometimes has a purple hue.  He is now sending me to a rheumatologist with blood work to be done.  Seems he is looking at arthritis that may have set in because of the trauma, hence the swelling and pain in the joints of the toes.  The forefoot and ball of the foot is very thick in feeling.   I have worked since day one after breaking my foot.  Unlike others I have read, I have not had any pain except the fullness, tingling, numbness that the swelling brings.  Praying for some answers soon.  Ready to get on with life!

This discussion is related to Cuboid fracture or tendon??.
I am sorry you have been through so much. I recommend that instead of a podiatrist you go get a second opinion from a foot/ankle surgeon-- preferably one from a teaching hospital. There is a big difference in the two professions. The surgeon is an MD and has much more training and education.

I hope this helps,

achilles2

PS I am glad to know that you are getting some help from a chiropractor.
Hi there!

Well, the possible diagnoses that need to be considered in your case are arthritis, bursitis, plantar fascitis, tendonitis, vasculitis, sudeck's osteodystrophy etc. Wrapping/ compression stockings are not the treatment in such a case. These may provide a temporary relief by providing counterpressure but would not treat the primary cause. It is best advised to see an orthopedician for an evaluation of the possibilities mentioned and appropriate management.
Hope this was useful.

Take care!
Thank you for those possible dx.  I will certainly bring these with me to my next appointment.