Orthopedics Community
Cyst on nerve root of spine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Cyst on nerve root of spine

I had an  MRI of my back after 10 years of pain and my doctors not believing me. The results of the MRI show that I have a cyst pressing on the nerve root of my L1. My doctor wants to do a nerve block injection in my spine. Is this going to take care of the problem? If this is not something that will take care of the problem will surgery to remove the cyst take care of the problem. I do not want to go in for injections if they are going to only take care of the pain for a short time.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The site of the cyst is important and the neurosurgeon will decide before operating it. Go for a nerve block injection and if it does not subside the surgeon will take alternative options as operating on spinal cord and brain is not similar to other sites as it may disturb your nerves and many other functions. Take care!
My mother in law was just told that she has a cyst on her spine and it is causing her pain. Her MRI showed it was by L4-L5. That explains the pain. But what Im really confused about is the doctor said that because of the placement of the  cyst they are not worried its cancer. Or worried about it being removed or biopsied. Isnt everything biopsied?? How do they know for sure??
I'm not a orthopedic doctor, nor am I a medical doctor at all, but before disability made working impossible, I was a medical professional, and I still know how to think like one.

Your neuro/ortho docs know from a) their knowledge of anatomy and histology (study of human tissue) and b) from the experience of the neurological community, as shared through the professional literature.

Sometimes doctors are wrong, but biopsy of the spine is usually not recommended. I wouldn't want to go there with one of my animal patients. The risk is too great.

If your mother's symptoms get worse, have it looked at again.

Best wishes.