Orthopedics Community
Cysts
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cysts

Hello,

A few years ago, I fell playing football and I've "destroyed" some ligaments on my right knee. Last Year, on that knwee I discover a little ball inside, after a ecography, the doctor find out a cyst, probably from a traumatism in this knee. Until here everything is ok, but, last month, I discovered more 3 new "balls" inside my left knee, the "fine" knee. They are similar to the cyst in my right knee, so everything point to be exactly the same. I would like to know, more information about what are this cyst and what causes them. They don't cause pain to me, I reall don't fell them usually, i only fell them, when i touch in my knees or when i put knees on the floor.

Thank you very much    
Related Discussions
Hi

Cysts around the knee have multiple causes including irritated and inflamed bursae, meniscal cysts, Baker’s cyst or popliteal cyst, ganglia (both intra-articular and extra-articular), vascular masses, and extraneural cysts.

One of the most common knee cysts is the popliteal cyst, otherwise known as a Baker cyst; its symptoms can include pain. Large popliteal cysts can rupture and become quite painful; it is important to rule out deep vein thrombosis in these instances. Meniscal cysts cause pain that is often associated with a palpable, firm mass.

Most often in adults the Baker's cyst is found in conditions where there is chronic swelling or fluid accumulation in the knee joint. These conditions include knee arthritis, meniscus injuries, and ligamentous injuries.

MRI , Computed tomography (CT) scanning, knee arthrography, and bone scanning are some of the investigations used for the diagnosis.

Treatment includes anti-inflammatory medications and cortisone injections. In some patients, placing a needle directly into the Baker's Cyst to drain the fluid can be helpful.
Take care and do write in if you need more information,

Regards

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Orthopedics Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949