Orthopedics Community
DO I HAVE CAUSE FOR SUSPICION?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

DO I HAVE CAUSE FOR SUSPICION?

I HAD A-SCOPIC SURGURY ON MY KNEE 6 MONTHS AGO TO TRIM MINISCUS. IT TOOK  7 MONTHS TO GET TO THE "O-R". IN THAT TIME, THE PAIN AND SWELLING CONTINUED TO ESCALATE. IT TOOK APPROX 5MOS TO MOVE THROUGH THE PROCESS [PREDNISONE, X-RAY, PREDNISONE, PT(WHICH NEVER HAPPENED BECAUSE COMPENSATION FOR MY LIMP CAUSED BACK SPASMS AND SWELLING THAT  RESULTED IN MORE PREDNISONE),  AN MRI, MORE PREDNISONE, AND FINALLY THE SURGURY]
  AFTER THE MRI, MY DOC SAT AND SHOWED ME THE IMAGES CAPTURED AND CONCLUDED ALOUD THAT NOTHING OF REAL SIGNIFICANCE WAS VISIBLE. A FOLLOWUP APPOINTMENT BECAUSE OF RECURRING PAIN  FORCED AN OUTLOOK CHANGE ON MY DOC'S PART--LOOKING AT THE IMAGES AGAIN WHICH AT THAT TIME SEEMED TO SHOW MORE DAMAGE THAN THE FIRST VIEWING. THAT MEETING RESULTED IN HIS SUGGESTION TO OPERATE, ENDING THE 7 MONTH OBSTACLE COURSE. WAS MY DOC SLIPSHOD? I'M REALLY STARTING TO WONDER?
  PREOP FOUND ME WITH AN ANESTHESIOLOGIST, WHO RIGGED IV LINES ETC TO ME.  MY DOC TOLD ME THAT I WOULD BE ABLE TO SEE THE OP ON A TV SCREEN, AS A LOCAL WOULD BE USED. I WAS A LITTLE PSYCHED TO WATCH, CAUSE I LIKE THAT SORT OF THING. MY PROBLEM: I REMEMBER EVERYTHING ABOUT THE RIDE TO THE OPERATING ROOM. EVEN UP TO THE POINT WHERE THE GURNEY HIT THE DOORS TO ENTER THE ROOM. THE MINUTE MY BED WAS ALIGNED TO THEIR EQUIPMENT...LIGHTS OUT, AND I WOKE IN THE RECOVERY ROOM. LATER I WAS TOLD BY MY DOC THAT  MY KNEE WAS "TIGHT" AND THEY HAD TO PUT ME TOTALLY UNDER. BUT WOULDN'T THE TEAM HAVE KNOWN THAT FROM THE MRI IMAGES? AND WHY WASN'T I INFORMED IN THE O-R THAT THE SUPPOSED  LOCAL ANESTHETIC WOULD HAVE TO BE ESCALATED TO FULL ANESTHESIA? BETTER YET, WHY THE BLACKOUT BEFORE ANY WORK WAS PERFORMED? WHY THE "TIGHT KNEE" STORY? ALSO, "MORE DAMAGE WAS FOUND AND TRIMMED" IN AN AREA OF MY KNEE THAT WAS WITHOUT PAIN PRIOR TO THE OPERATION. BUT NOW, IT IS PART OF THE PAIN AREA. COULD THEY HAVE MESSED-UP WHILE INSIDE?
  STILL HAVE PAIN AND SWELLING. FEELS LIKE PLIERS PINCHING WHEN I GO FROM BENT KNEE TO EXTENDED; WAKES ME YELLING OUT LOUD WHEN IT IS MOST ACUTE. REECENTLY FINISHED ANOTHER 6-DAY MEDRIL DOSE PACKS TO MINIMIZE SWELLING, BUT PAIN HAS NOW BROADENED TO A LARGER AREA AROUND MY KNEE CAP THAN IT WAS A COUPLE WEEKS AGO. NO POST-OP PHYSICAL THERAPY WAS EVER PRESCRIBED TILL NOW. IS THAT STANDARD PROCEDURE? MY DOC SEEMED UNEASY THE LAST COUPLE OF APPOINTMENTS--A COUNTENANCE SHIFT. SEEMS ALMOST "SHEEPISH". WHAT DO YOU GET FROM ALL THIS?
If I were you I would get my medical records including images and surgical notes. Then I would go get a second opinion.

Good luck,

achilles2