Orthopedics Community
De Quervain's and trigger finger surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Hello to all,
I had surgery for De Quervain's and middle trigger finger on my left hand on the 3rd of June. I still have the stitches and will until Monday. The pain isn't horrible unless I bump it or turn it the wrong way. I still have a lot of swelling in my hand and especially the middle finger. The bruising was horrible. I would like to know how long to expect to have the swelling and the bruising? I have to have the same thing done to my right hand and want to know if I can expect the same bruising and swelling when I have it done? I didn't get put to sleep for my surgery, but elected to have a Bier Block. I have a fear of being put under anesthesia. I'll have a Bier Block for the other hand, too.

Thanks for your help.

Lnrosy
Hey, dont worry , the swelling and bruising is normal.  You may have the swelling for a few weeks, the brusing should go away about about 2 to 3 weeks.  As long as your follow the doctors instructions you should heal just fine.  I have the same condition but am electing to cortison shots.  My mother had the same condition and elected to have the surgery.  She healed just fine.  You may experience the pain for a few months after the surgery.  It will not be constant, but it may be every once in a while.  Be careful not to bump it.  Remember, this is a traumatic experience that your hands are going through so it is normal for swelling and bruising.  If your hand is bandaged, you might loosen the bandage just a little bit to make sure you are not cutting off circulation.  That is what we had to do.  Hope all goes well and that you heal quickly!  Good luck and take care.