Orthopedics Community
De Quervain's post -op problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

De Quervain's post -op problem

9415263?1377278560
I am 3 weeks out from my surgery.  I don't have a follow up with my doctor until 9/9.  When I had my stitches out 8/12 I showed the doctor the swelling of my thumb joint.  He told me it was arthritis that was already there.  It was not ever painful before the surgery and certainly never swollen up so badly.  He even went and got the x-rays and the MRI, but the end of my thumb was missing in every image.  He was dismissive and he is not the type of doctor that likes to be questioned.  So I left and thinking I had perhaps overused my hand a bit and that it would probably get better.  It is not getting better.  Just a large, very hard and tender lump over my thumb knuckle.  I hope the images I attached come through and someone is able to identify what might be causing this.  I would hate to think that the wrist surgery will be successful only to have a permanent issue with my thumb as a result.  Thank you in advance anyone that is willing to reply.
Hi!
Some swelling is expected after surgery. You could ask your PCP for an X-ray if the previous X-rays did not include the base of thumb, but usually the X-ray will not thorw much light. Take some non-steroidal anti-inflammatory pain killer. Do physiotherapy as advised. The swelling should start going down with this treatment. Please discuss with your PCP before you see your ortho specialist. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.