Orthopedics Community
Deep bone bruise - shin with skin gouge

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Deep bone bruise - shin with skin gouge

I took a large blow direct to my shin a week ago. There was also a chunk of skin the size of a dollar coin carved out as well. Immediately afterward a grapefruit like bruise came up. I used polysporin and a dressing for the cut, and Ice for the swelling. After 5 days the area around the cut became red and warm to the touch, also more painful. Doctor precribed a medicated dressing (used commonly for burns, grafts etc) and antibiotics for the oncoming infection.

It is now very tender in the area below the wound itself, and when I press down with a finger the dent that it makes stayes a few seconds. The bruising is movning downward as far as the foot, and tghe bruise is now more orange-like than grapefruit like.

Question(s) When should I resume my normal 1 hr/day workouts? they include use of a bike for cardio. Also, when can I expect the pain and swelling to subside?