Orthopedics Community
Defective Knee Replacement?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Defective Knee Replacement?

defective knee replacement?
by jimg44, 22 hours ago
Hello, I am a 49 yr old male about 5ft 6",160lbs. Three years ago I had a total right knee replacement.  The surgery was a success for almost three I was totally pain free.  Just recently the pain came back with a vengeance. Before my surgery it was bone on bone and the pain was unreal. Now the pain is back and I am in misery. It is just different, because obviously it's a different joint. Now it is mostly on the inside on my knee, tender to touch, throbs and when I stand or walk it gets so bad I almost cry. Sometimes it feels like it wants to snap in half. My surgeon won't see me because of an unpaid balance that cannot be paid right now. I'm searching for another one who will take on a new Medicare patient. (another dilemma). Anyway, is it common for these things to happen so soon? I constantly see ads about defective knee replacements. I can't imagine how arthritis can affect an artificial joint. What could possibly be causing this wicked pain??  I haven't been in any accidents or fallen, I'm totally stumped and in awful pain. Three years no pain then out of the blue....Wham, starts killing again and has not stopped. Any suggestions or ideas?  Thanks, Jim
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Infection is rare following total knee replacement surgery. It occurs in 1-2.5% of cases.

Immediate side effects can be due to infection, early haemorrhage and wound breakdown and intra-operative fractures.

The long term complications are infection, wearing of the bearings, and loosening of the prosthesis and dislocations.

You have to follow up with your orthopedician and get yourself properly examined. You should also consider some scans and come to a proper diagnosis and consider the best treatment.

Take care!