Deformed Finger
About 4 or 5 years ago I fractured my metacarpal below the pinky finger of my left hand. The pinky finger itself was not broken and never has been. The metacarpal was broken clean through just below the knuckle. My local doctor took x-rays but referred me to an orthopedist at Childrens Hospital in Fresno because he thought it might require surgery. Well I didn't have surgery, and my hand was just put into a cast for about a month. After the cast came off my hand was fine. However my pinky was very weak and had very little muscle on the underside of it. So I used one of those squeeze balls for a while to try to strengthen it. I figured it was just normal muscle atrophy from not being used for a while.

The problem is that this muscle has never really come back. The bottom part of my finger, between the knuckle and first joint has seemingly no muscle at all. This didn't bother me because the finger was still perfectly useful and didn't cause any pain. Then about a year ago the finger started to curl in, as you can hopefully see in the attached picture. I still don't have any pain, and the finger is still useable. However it is also very weak and I can not straighten it out at all. My personal belief is that whatever tendon or muscle that goes under there was either torn or damaged.

I haven't told my doctor about it yet. I don't want to have surgery or any other treatment unless it is guaranteed to fix the finger. I am afraid it could get messed up worse than it is now. Its ugly, but still a useable finger. If I have it treated I am afraid I might end up with pain or even worse range of motion in the finger.

I would like an opinion of what might be causing the finger to curl in. I am an 18 year old 6-1 180 male who is in good shape, is otherwise healthy, and has 9 other fingers that are perfectly normal.