Orthopedics Community
Delayed onset bone contusion?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Delayed onset bone contusion?

After a trauma to my shoulder, I had pain around the shoulder blade (first diagnosed as a thorasic sprain) for two months before excruciating pain set in and an MRI was performed that diagnosed a "bone bruise" to the he humeral head and treated with ice, pain medication, muscle relaxers and a short round of a prescription anti-inflammatory. In the next 9 months, I have had three incidents of unbearable stabbing pain in the joint lasting several hours to a few days. Upon re-visiting with the Orthopedist after the first reccurence of pain, muscle relaxers and pain medication were continued for "flare-ups" and no further imaging was performed. My shoulder has full range of motion (not without pain) but just doesn't feel right. There are many days of pain but not to the point where I feel the need to medicate. I don't restrict myself from everyday activities and I recently started a new exercise program but 1 1/2 weeks in, I had to discontinue due to increased pain.
Firstly, could inflammation in or around the joint cause the contusion and/or can it take 2 months after a trauma for a contusion to develop? Secondly, is it completely normal for a contusion to take this long to heal or could this possibly be a sign of necrosis?

Thank you for your expert advice!
Hi there!

Well, inflammation is unlikely to result in contusion and neither is a contusion expected to develop 2 months after an injury, though a bone contusion may occasionally take several months to heal. I am not sure how far have you been evaluated for though other possible causes of the symptoms that may need to be considered include muscle sprain, nerve impingement, capsulitis, bursitis, tendonitis, injuries/ tears, joint subluxation/ dislocation, arthritis, periostitis, muscle/ ligament/ tendon tears/ injuries, fractures, growths/ masses, ischemia etc. If the symptoms do not seem to get better over the next few weeks, I would suggest seeking a review with your treating orthopedician to rule out alternative causes and suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this helps.

Take care!