Orthopedics Community
Desperate!!!
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Desperate!!!

I really need some help here, please!!!              I'm a newbie here

I have a doctor who wants to give me 2 surgical procedures,
1. Nucleoplasty (3 L levels) 2. IDET.(4 L Levels) I have trouble walking from time to time ( pain in left buttock ) The majority of my pain is in my lower back! forced to bend down when sneezing, coughing ETC. always in pain, this has been ongoing for 4 years and I am desperate for help. To many symptoms to list. I am back on light duty, awaiting surgery, and am desperate to resolve these ongoing issues. The following, MRI REPORT; 10/15/2007 FROM Rush emergency room.

MRI FINDINGS STATE;

Alignment of the Lumbar spine is unremarkable.
Vertebral body heights are maintained throughout the lumber spine. There is diffuse loss of disk space and normal T2 signal throughout the lumbar spine, particularly at L2/3, L3/4, L4/5. Low T1/T2 signal abnormality near the superior endplate of L4 may be due to a bone island or Schmorl's node. Schmorl's node is noted at the superior endplate of L2. Otherwise, no focal marrow signal abnormalities or enhancing lesions are identified. The conus is at L1. Visualized portion of spinal cord is of normal caliper without focal signal abnormality or enhancing lesion.
T12/L1; no disk herniation, spinal canal or neuroforaminal stenosis.
L1/2; small broad-based disk bulge along with mild ligamentum flavum hypertrophy and facet hypertrophic changes are noted. There is no spinal canal or nueroforaminal stenosis.
L2/3; Broad-based disk bulge along with ligamentum flavum hypertrophy are identified. There is no significant spinal canal stenosis or neuroforaminal stenosis.
L3/4; Broad based disk bulge along with ligamentum flavum hypertrophy and mild facet hypertrophic changes are causing mild spinal canal stenosis along with mild bilateral nueroforaminal stenosis,.
L4/5; Left paracentral disk bulge along with ligamentum flavum hypertrophy are causing moderate spinal canal stenosis along with moderate bilateral nueroforaminal stenosis.
L5/s1; small central disk protrusion superimposed on a broad based disk bulge are noted there is mild to moderate bilateral nueroforaminal stenosis without significant spinal canal stenosis.  

MRI IMPRESSION states  
1.There is diffuse loss of disk space and normal T2 signal throughout the lumbar spine, particularly at L2/3, and L4/5

2.Mild to moderate degenerative changes as described above. The most severe of these changes are at L4/5 where a left paracentral disk bulge along with ligamentum flavum hypertrophy are causing moderate spinal canal stenosis along with moderate bilateral nueroforaminal stenosis. No high-grade spinal canal or nueroforaminal stenosis is identified.

What does this mean??  Are the surgical procedures listed above OK for my condition?? Is there something more effective you suggest?? I am eager to start a new job and put this mess behind me. I have an infant son and must provide for my family, please help me, I will be anxiously awaiting a reply, thank you very kindly for your time, I am new here and appreciate all, thank you