Orthopedics Community
Did my microfracture surgery fail

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Did my microfracture surgery fail

I had microfracture surgery for a full thickness lesion on my medial femoral condyle 10 months ago. I was non-weight bearing for 6 weeks and followed rehab instructions to a T. The results have been excellent with no pain or swelling and I have been able to walk, bicycle, do an hour on the elliptical at a time. Last weekend my husband and I went on vacation and hiked in the hills for 2 hours one day and 3 hours the next. I experienced no pain. The next morning however, I woke up with the knee very swollen and pain at the site of the lesion. It has been five days now and the swelling is down but I still have episodes of pain, a real zinger if I step wrong. I can't get in to see my OS for a week. I am frantic. Has my surgery failed? Or is it just overuse and everything will return to normal? Any insight or suggested actions--rest? Exercise ? would be greatly appreciated.

This discussion is related to Options for knee pain two years after microfracture surgery.
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. With no issues for over 10 months, it is unlikely to be a failed surgery. Possibilities that may need to be considered include fractures, soft tissue injuries, inflammations etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!