Did my microfracture surgery fail
I had microfracture surgery for a full thickness lesion on my medial femoral condyle 10 months ago. I was non-weight bearing for 6 weeks and followed rehab instructions to a T. The results have been excellent with no pain or swelling and I have been able to walk, bicycle, do an hour on the elliptical at a time. Last weekend my husband and I went on vacation and hiked in the hills for 2 hours one day and 3 hours the next. I experienced no pain. The next morning however, I woke up with the knee very swollen and pain at the site of the lesion. It has been five days now and the swelling is down but I still have episodes of pain, a real zinger if I step wrong. I can't get in to see my OS for a week. I am frantic. Has my surgery failed? Or is it just overuse and everything will return to normal? Any insight or suggested actions--rest? Exercise ? would be greatly appreciated.

This discussion is related to Options for knee pain two years after microfracture surgery.
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. With no issues for over 10 months, it is unlikely to be a failed surgery. Possibilities that may need to be considered include fractures, soft tissue injuries, inflammations etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!