Orthopedics Community
Dislocated Ribs????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Dislocated Ribs????

Just wondering about this dx....my PCP told me this is what I'm suffering from.  I had a BAD Flu a few weeks ago and alot of coughing later I have been left with left sided pain radiating from my sternum to my scapula...for over 3 weeks with NO RELIEF.  I've been on Toradol, for over 10 days...NO RELIEF.  It hurts to breath, move my arm...everything.  I've had two negative xrays and two negative CT scans...I'm having a bone scan in 2 days to R/O fracture...but PCP thinks it's Dislocated ribs and wants to do a "manipulation" to pop them back in.  DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT!!!!  Any inpuit would be great...I'm a nurse and have NEVER heard of this dx.  I'm really suffering though...pain is a 8 on the pain scale.    Thanks,  Jen
Well it is possible to have Ribs to be dislocated due to strenuous coughing or strenuous work involving your ribs.
But if that would have been the case, then it was possible to have any x-ray or CT scan evidence. In your case we have both imaging study showing negative response.
I can understand how much pain you would be suffering from as it would also be difficult for you to breath.
I think you can meet Chiropractor to see if he can help you.
You can take opinion from another orthopaedician as to what he wants to say about this.
At last if you feel there is no option left, I think you can meet the doctor and decide regarding the complications associated with this manipulation.
What kind of manipulation he wants to do? What evidence he would have if the abnormality is being corrected.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
ii was reading and saw very familiar experiences. i havent been to the doctor yet but  am in severe pain..i took a fall a few weeks ago at the gym while traing (MMA) and landed my ribs directly on my opponents knee .. pretty forceful blow. it seemed fine after that. then about a week ago i was training and choked on the water i was drinking and started having a coughing fit. thats when my left front side of my rib cage popped and it was a 10 on the scale when i tried to EXHALE. i have a fight in exactly one week that i cant  back out of. is there a quick fix? im not sure what to do here
Yes it is possible to dislocate a rib from coughing. I have had a strenuous cough for over a week now.Started having this pain in my back a few days after the cough started.I let the cough go for a week before going to the doctors. He said I had dislocated one of my ribs from coughing and manipulated it back in place..But because I still have a cough it would be possible to dislocate it now. He put me on the Z-pak and I am finally starting to bring stuff up so hopefully this will help subside my coughing. My back is really sore since he manipulated me and I hope it goes away. Hope this has helped!