Orthopedics Community
Distal Fibula Fracture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Distal Fibula Fracture

Hi.  I recently had a distal fibula fracture of my right leg very close to the ankle.  I went to Ortho and he had me in a splint for a week to see if the bone would move at all (to see if i needed surgery).  Xrays were taken and there was no need for surgery.  Put me in a boot and was told to not bear weight on it for another 2 weeks.(3 weeks total)  Went back and more x-rays, everything is fine so far.  can start weight bearing.  Was on the crutches for about 1 1/2 weeks until i could walk with boot.  Had the boot off at 7 1/2 weeks after break.  No PT becuase I couldnt afford it but have been doing exercises with it.  Its been 3 1/2 months since injury and there is still some pain and slight swelling.  I work on my feet all day and was wondering if the pain is just from being on it for long periods of time or something else?  I get home and rest and then can barely walk to the bathroom.  Pain goes away mostly by the next day.  Is there ever going to be a time when it wont hurt so much and how long does it usually take for the pain to go away?
Hi there!

It would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation without a clinical evaluation. The pain and swelling could be related to inflammation caused due to constant trauma on a partially healed fracture or due to inflammation/ injuries to other structures such as ligaments, tendons etc. I would suggest resting the foot for a few weeks and avoiding putting weight on it for prolonged hours. Warm compresses and OTC NSAIDS may be used for relief. If these measures do not seem to help, you may consider a review with your orthopedician.
Hope this helps.

Take care!