Orthopedics Community
Do I need surgery if I broke the tip of my pinky finger?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I was playing hockey (goalie) and a puck hit my glove and jammed the tip of my pinky finger. This happened a month ago (June 22, 2012). I thought it might be broken, but it eventually didn't hurt and then about 2-3 weeks ago I noticed it was really swolen. I went to the ortho doctor and he said it was broken (the tip of my pinky finger) and that it was too late to splint it. He said I will need surgery and will be out of hockey for 8 weeks. Does anyone know if there is another option? It doesn't affect me when I play hockey or do kixkboxing (i.e. punching a bag!). I don't want surgery. Any thoughts will help! I have an x-ray photo, but can't figure out how to get it on here.
Hi there!

The surgery is the only option, though you could choose not to undergo one and carry on with the broken finger if there is no functional abnormality. However this may put you at a higher risk of degeneration and a surgical fixation would be advisable.
Hope this helps.

Take care!